[erlang-questions] hipe - erllvm: finished, quiet, or other?

Felix Gallo felixgallo@REDACTED
Fri Jul 15 18:09:47 CEST 2016

I've been playing around with Pony (http://www.ponylang.org/) recently, and
it stirred me to wonder about the current state of numerical performance
directly in erlang.  Although there's a convenient safety net in clean and
dirty NIFs, it does feel pretty pleasurable to not have to orchestrate the
dance of multiple languages and layers in order to go fast.

Both HiPE and erllvm seem pretty quiet these days; there's commentary and
work in mainline otp suggesting that erllvm is still under some kind of
development, but it's been a few years since the main erllvm page has been
updated, and I'm having difficulty getting a recent llvm to work (which is
not unusual, given that each llvm release involves breaking changes, and
they move pretty rapidly).

Where's the bleeding edge on this?

F.