[erlang-questions] Add a new data structure to erlang VM.

Constantin Kulikov zxnotdead@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 11:31:30 CEST 2016

> ETS tables are mutable.  Which is why they are not *Erlang* data
structures.
Just to clarify, are objects copied when we put/get them from an ets table?

Looks like I mixed and confused some of my statements.
Looks like I want my data structure to reside in the Erlang process'
memory, because I don't want to always copy data when I put/get something
in/from that data structure.
However it doesn't necessarily have to be as transparent to the programmer
as the Erlang's lists.

With NIFs I always must copy data between environments. And it looks like
enif_make_copy is doing a full copy of an object:
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/3b7a6ffddc819bf305353a593904cea9e932e7dc/erts/emulator/beam/erl_nif.c#L795
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/3b7a6ffddc819bf305353a593904cea9e932e7dc/erts/emulator/beam/copy.c#L73
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/3b7a6ffddc819bf305353a593904cea9e932e7dc/erts/emulator/beam/global.h#L1127
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/3b7a6ffddc819bf305353a593904cea9e932e7dc/erts/emulator/beam/copy.c#L602

And I can only add a term to the environment, but can not free a term other
than freeing the environment entirely with all it's terms.

I would do enif_make_env for each single object that I want to store, but
it looks like a bad idea:
http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/erl-nif-questions-regarding-resource-handling-td4673810.html#a4673832
> The current implementation of environments from enif_make_env() has a quite
large constant memory overhead.
> A lot of environments with small/few terms in them will not be memory
efficient.

The next step is to make a "custom GC" based on managing these environments
like here: https://github.com/fauxsoup/neural
(hmm, maybe Erlang's GC works like this)

Well, the more I dive into that, the more I see that adding a data
structure to the Erlang VM level is not so easy and doesn't worth it.)
Thanks for your help.