[erlang-questions] UDP questions

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jan 28 16:38:34 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Felix Gallo <felixgallo@REDACTED> wrote:
> I've used OSC pretty heavily with Erlang recently, and:
>
> 1) use wired connections where possible; wireless connections experience
> significantly higher packet loss, and at least two different models of
> wireless router displayed unusual behavior in which a steady train of UDP
> packets would get increasingly geometrically delayed for no apparent reason.
>
> 2) consult musician forums about wireless router brand / model / firmware
> combinations that seem to work with the specific tools you want to use, if
> you are going to use something like an iPad with TouchOSC or Lemur etc. as a
> manual controller.

I want to connect iPad/Mac/various synths together. I hadn't heard of Lemur

I just got a midi-to-osc bridge working (midi half in swift) - osc-in erlang :-)

Just need bonjour and get http://nexusosc.com/ working then I can have fun ...

> 3) use OSC bundles where possible; not all languages have libraries which
> are good at that particular section of the spec, but properly implemented
> bundles can significantly improve sync and a feeling of snappiness in
> non-musical applications, such as higher level control.
>
> 4) Limit your packet sizes to 1500 bytes or lower on a LAN.  For single
> messages this is usually pretty easy unless you're trying to send data
> instead of commands, which I don't recommend.  You can breach the limit if
> you pack a bunch of commands into a bundle, but if your application layer is
> smart, it can fill up an outgoing packet to 500 bytes or whatever, and then
> save off any further messages for the next packet.  With good switches, good
> PHYs (e.g. Intel), good OS with well-tuned buffers or good defaults, you
> should be able to run at 100Mb line rate.  In the real world, sometimes you
> don't get to pick all of those things, so having your OSC code be tunable
> (or self-tunable) down in packet size and packet rate is a good practice.
>
> 5) OSC is super awesome because there's a bunch of controllers, libraries,
> real time graphical monitors, etc., for it, and it's pretty familiar in the
> entertainment space, but it's also pretty verbose and hefty on the wire.
> Cap'n Proto, protobufs and thrift are nearby cousins that deserve a look or
> two if you're really pushing OSC out of its comfort envelope.

I agree - the music world has a load of very cool devices - I've been
playing with Pure Data and my head hurts

/Joe