[erlang-questions] UDP questions

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Thu Jan 28 02:24:39 CET 2016

In addition to what others have said, the max UDP binary size that can be
sent/received is:
64k - (sizeof(IPHeader) + sizeof(UDPHeader)) = 65535- (20 + 8) = 65507.
This is the UDP protocol's limitation.  I would say if you use UDP, the
{packet, N} option makes little sense, since each udp message is delivered
as a whole (UDP is message oriented vs. TCP that is byte-oriented).

I see between your 3rd and 4th questions there's some confusion. UDP
fragmentation may happen at the network layer (IP) when sending a large
datagram (> MTU size), but it's defragmented by the network stack, and
delivered to the transport layer (UDP) and consequently the user space as a
whole message (preserving message boundaries).

Regards,

Serge