[erlang-questions] Is priv a good place to store data?

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Thu Jan 14 00:03:45 CET 2016

The priv directory was never intended for dynamic data, only for static
files that are shipped with the release. Although some people put dynamic
data under priv (and I've done it myself back before I knew the proper ways
of OTP), it's a mistake that tends to come back and bite you one way or
another, screwing up release handling, making backups more complicated, etc.

Preferably, you should be able to wipe out the entire directory where all
your apps are installed, reinstall the code, and restart the system,
without losing any live data or configuration files.

        /Richard