[erlang-questions] Any Erlang Devs Contemplating Elixir?

Sat Feb 27 23:24:35 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Andrew Berman <rexxe98@REDACTED> wrote:

> I was curious if any of you guys have switched or are contemplating using
> Elixir for your next project. I've been programming Erlang for a while now,
> but I'm about to start a new project and wanted to see where other Erlang
> devs stood on it.

First and foremost, I hope that if I do good work in Erlang, then that work
is somewhat easily transplantable into Elixir. So if I end up using Elixir
later, then I can use some of the same work, and I did not lose too much in
the process.

Currently, I'm mostly interested in how the Erlang, OCaml, Haskell, and Go
communities are developing and what they are doing as languages. I note
that all but one of those languages are statically typed, and if I were to
pick up another language in the Erlang system, I'd prefer it to have a
static type system. But alas, we are still missing this, so I'll have to
write my own compiler[0]

[0] Or write in Pony, but I'm not sure I like the semantics of Pony too
much.

--
J.