[erlang-questions] Erlang for managers

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 12:39:27 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Jesper Louis Andersen
<jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:
> Some things which "sound good" to the technical programmer are bitter pills for management.

Yes indeed.  I wouldn't lead off by extolling the fail fast
philosophy, for example.

Although not about Erlang, this story
[http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html] is a good read about the business
advantages of using a non-mainstream language (Lisp).

How well a story like that is received by a manager depends a lot on
his or her personality.  When once asked why other people always had
such different opinions than our team I reminded him that since he
insisted on hiring from the top percentile he shouldn't expect
popularity.  Winners choose a different path than losers.

As a manager the compelling things about Erlang and OTP

--
     -Vance