[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

Raoul Duke raould@REDACTED
Thu Feb 25 23:30:48 CET 2016

> Hah!  I got my hands on a Java textbook that promised to be helpful a couple
> of
> years ago, and it had on-line code examples I could download.
>
> EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM produced a flood of deprecation warnings
> from the compiler.  Not impressed.

Things change.
People die.
It's sad.

And, of course, agreed, is not good for end-user happiness. Still,
some of it is not too surprising, really. If our languages actually
required us to stipulate in metadata/annotations what version is to be
used, and then you still got the warnings, then we could be really
super justifiably mad, I think. But most languages are too lame and do
not require explicit version statements afaik. In other words: 5 whys,
root cause, yadda^3.