[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Feb 25 10:29:53 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
wrote:

> The idea is that you might want to package up a bunch of stuff in a
> ZIP file (or some other kind of archive), to save space, or to make
> it easier to move stuff around, or whatever.  Why should you have
> to extract a file from an archive in order to read it?  Why should
> the compiler not be able to read *directly* from the archive?

If the compiler is supposed to read the archive, then you mean that the
source files should be packed in one? I can see the use for beam files to
be distributed this way, but I'm not sure about sources - if they are
supposed to get edited, then we have to unpack them anyway; if not, then
beams are just as good. Or am I missing something?

best regards,
Vlad