[erlang-questions] Sending message at a specific and accurate time

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Tue Feb 23 14:29:35 CET 2016

> On 22 feb 2016, at 15:55, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Tony Rogvall <tony@REDACTED> wrote:
>>> L = fun Loop() -> receive after 1 ->  Loop()  end end.
>>> spawn_link(L).
>
> Busy sleep :-) < I thought busy waiting was frowned upon>
>
> Actually after 10 works as well.

When running a busy sleep loop of 1 ms I get a 990 us diff from the actual time
and when running a busy loop of 10 ms I get 1550 us diff.
BTW The same is true for smp disable

Question for Richard really is why ? :-)
Is 10 ms to small amount of time to allow the schedulers to sleep?

The cpu load for a busy loop 10 ms is about 2%
and busy loop 1 ms is 8%

This sound a lot for doing nothing, but maybe not that much for doing something
important at the right time now and then?

The problem might go away if running this on a slightly loaded node on a multi core machine.

/Tony