[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Feb 19 13:54:39 CET 2016

On 2016年2月19日 金曜日 13:39:44 Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> > On 19 Feb 2016, at 12:32, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> >
> > I've mentioned that at the beginning of the thread. We're going circles now. :-)
> >
> > I really don't think getting rid of the mandatory -module attribute is such a hard problem to solve...
>

> for myself I am now wondering why we dont have a `-module` block and then ignoring the filename completely.
>
>     -module(some).
>     -endmodule.
>
> - benoit

This is a much more interesting idea, imo.

The reason I had referred to the filename == modname thing as a bandaid
is because it appears to be the way the code loader was kludged into finding
code -- because that's a workable and expedient solution, and writing an
actual resource resolver is a lot heavier (but more correct) solution.

-Craig