[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

duncan@REDACTED duncan@REDACTED
Thu Feb 18 21:43:05 CET 2016

Eric,
I'd argue the different source codes you mentioned are actually different source codes even if they compile to the same beam file. Ie it would be ok they have a different checksum and different version.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?
From: Éric Pailleau<eric.pailleau@REDACTED>
Date: Feb 18, 2016 12:54 PM
To: "Joe Armstrong" <erlang@REDACTED>
CC: "Erlang Questions" <erlang-questions@REDACTED>

Hi,
Sha1 sum of source code is probably note the best solution due to the fact that same source file on Windows and Linux may differ due to different carriage return. Some are using tab and other spaces. And source with comments or without would be different in checksum but same Beam file.
A canonical version of abstract code is probably better for a checksum and could be stored in a beam chunk.