[erlang-questions] Release upgrade of an app without a top supervisor

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Tue Feb 16 17:04:33 CET 2016

> I have merged the PR and tagged it 1.7.

Great news, Ulf, thank you for being so responsive :)

Maybe you could consider upgrading the dependency for exometer_core too:
https://github.com/Feuerlabs/exometer_core/blob/master/rebar.config

Right now it's easy to do it manually anyways.

> If you upgrade to 1.7 instead of 1.6, the suggested fix should work in the
> more general case.
>
> That is, even restarting setup will not suffice, if the upgrade script
> contains other applications that need upgrading by locating and suspending
> processes.
>
> The reason is that the release_handler *will* query all running
> applications for processes which will need to be suspended for a given
> module, and since the top process in the setup application doesn’t respond
> to system messages, it will always fail there.

True. Fortunately enough the only app using setup is exometer_core, so if
my understanding is correct of what you stated here above, it should be
fine.

> With 1.7, it works as intended (you still need to upgrade to 1.7 using an
> application restart, and this should be the first thing to do).

Hopefully my described approach should work.

Best,
r.