[erlang-questions] Atom Unicode Support

José Valim jose.valim@REDACTED
Wed Feb 3 18:25:55 CET 2016

I just wanted to clarify, to avoid any confusion, this patch is mostly
about support for unicode atoms forms in the compiler. This is a required
step if you ever want to support Unicode in the language but it does not
imply such. There are three main milestones:

1. Support unicode atom forms (i.e. the form {atom, Line, Atom} can have a
UTF-8 encoded atom)
2. Support unicode atoms between single quotes (for example, 'ノクス', as you
can already write "ノクス")
3. Support unicode in the language (for example, being able to write
variables in Japanese)

This discussion was originally related to 1 but I could contribute 2 if
desired. Many of the concerns raised above are related to step 3 which,
afaik, is not planned.

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br
Skype: jv.ptec