[erlang-questions] Software Engineering Opportunity with Voleon Capital Management

Charles Weitzer charles@REDACTED
Mon Feb 1 18:10:51 CET 2016

The Voleon Group is a science-driven systematic trading firm, built on the principle that statistical machine learning provides the best solutions to the scientific problems we must solve. The firm researches and deploys systematic trading strategies designed to generate attractive returns without being dependent on the performance of the overall market.

We would like to hire an exceptionally creative and capable software engineer. You will architect and implement new production trading systems, machine learning infrastructure, data integration pipelines, and large-scale storage systems. In the past, we have had great success in hiring software engineers with experience with functional programming languages such as Erlang and Haskell.

Voleon's founders previously worked together at one of the most successful quantitative hedge funds in the world. Our CEO earned a PhD in Computer Science from Stanford and has been CEO and founder of a successful Internet infrastructure startup. Our Chief Investment Officer and Head of Research earned his PhD in Statistics from and is currently on the faculty at UC Berkeley. Voleon's team includes PhDs from leading departments in statistics, computer science, and mathematics from Berkeley, Stanford, CMU, Caltech, MIT, University of Chicago, and other top-tier schools. We have made several unpublished advances in the field of machine learning and in other areas as well.

You will have a high impact, and you can expect frequent interaction with other researchers, officers, and our founders. We take a rigorous approach to building trading strategies and systems, and actively foster a highly collaborative and collegial intellectual environment. We are growing rapidly. Willingness to take initiative and a gritty determination to productize are essential.

We seek candidates with a proven track record of writing correct, well-designed software, solving hard problems, and delivering complex projects on time. You should preferably have experience designing and implementing fault-tolerant distributed systems. Experience with building large-scale data infrastructure, stream processing systems, or latency-sensitive programs is a bonus.

Required experience:

- experience with functional programming languages such as Erlang, Haskell, etc.
- developing with C/C++/Python/Go in a Linux environment with a focus on performance, concurrency, and correctness.
- working in TCP/IP networking, multi-threading, and server development.
- working with common Internet protocols (IP, TCP/UDP, SSL/TLS, HTTP, SNMP, etc.).
- architecting and designing highly available systems.
- architecting and designing large-scale data management infrastructure.
- working in large codebases and building modular, manageable code.

Preferred experience:

- debugging and performance profiling, including the use of tools such as strace, valgrind, gdb, tcpdump, etc.
- working with build and test automation tools.
- working with well-defined change management processes.
- diagnosing RDBMS performance problems, exploiting indexing, using EXPLAIN PLAN, optimizing at the code layer, etc.
- working with messaging queues (RabbitMQ, Redis, etc.) as well as distributed caching systems.

Interest in financial applications is essential, but experience in finance is not a primary factor in our hiring. We hire on the basis of exceptional talent. Benefits and compensation are highly competitive.

We encourage you to apply on our website with your full and complete CV: http://voleon.com/apply/.

The Voleon Group is an Equal Opportunity employer. Applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, sex, gender, marital status, sexual orientation and identity, genetic information, veteran status, citizenship, or any other factors prohibited by local, state, or federal law.