[erlang-questions] How to think and reason when designing process- and message-centric systems?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Dec 15 16:32:52 CET 2016

Welcome,

On 12/15/2016 01:04 PM, IRLeif wrote:
> Coming from an object-oriented and data-centric background, I have
> cognitive difficulties when it comes to conceptualizing, thinking about
> and designing systems consisting of modules, processes and key-value
> data stores.
>
> My brain reverts to thinking about classes, objects, inheritance trees,
> encapsulation and SQL-style relational data models. I'm afraid this
> could lead to unidiomatic Erlang system architectures and
> implementations, which would be undesirable.

That's what brains do, unfortunately.

Let me stop you there by correcting one small thing: SQL-style
relational data models can still apply depending on the system you are
building. PostgreSQL usage is not uncommon in the Erlang world, at least
for small to medium systems.

Classes, objects, and so on, on the other hand, do not exist, and
thinking in terms of objects will have a negative impact on the design
of your system.

How do you solve this? Well it depends on your experience outside of OO.
Here are a few early tips, apply the relevant ones:

- Have you used a non-OO imperative language? C for example. In these
languages, you only have functions. In Erlang, you only have functions.
Erlang is closer to C than OO, so switch your brain to C-style
programming instead of OO.

If necessary, spend a few hours writing a short C program (or another
language as long as you don't use/write OO code) and then switch to
Erlang. This will set your mind on the right path.

- Have you ever heard of the best practice that dictates that variables
should not be reused? Erlang basically enforces that.

When writing that short program, make sure you do not reuse variables.

- Have you ever written code that recurses over directories to for
example file files matching a pattern? You can't do that with only
loops, regardless of the language.

Have the short program use recursion instead of loops.

After doing this your mind will be very close to how it needs to be to
write sequential Erlang programs. The rest is minor syntax differences
like commas and semicolons or uppercase first letter for variable names.

95% of the Erlang code you write is short sequential programs. If you
have experience with microservices, then think of Erlang processes as
microservices. If you have experience with client/server development,
then think of them all as servers that communicate to each other in a
mostly client/server fashion. The only difference is that they
communicate using Erlang messages.

It definitely helps to reimplement something like a gen_server or
gen_statem as you will better grasp links, monitors and timeouts. These
are useful to have solid systems; although you can do mostly without and
still get results.

> Here are some of the essential complexities I have difficulties grasping:
>
> A) Identifying discrete modules and processes and finding good names for
> them.

There's basically two kinds of modules in Erlang: those implementing a
process, and those containing useful functions. For the latter it should
be obvious: group all the related functions together. For the former,
you are almost required to put them in a module as you implement
behaviours, so no big trouble there.

As for naming, well, good luck with that.

namespace I put in all modules of my application (often the name of the
application), <name> is the descriptive name (for example 'router' or
'http') and <suffix> is the type of the module, for example 'server',
'sup' for supervisor, 'h' for Cowboy handler, 't' for a module
containing functions for converting from/to and manipulating a type, and
so on.

> D) Designing a sensible persistent data model with Mnesia or other NoSQL
> data models (e.g. using CouchDB).

Depending on what you are doing you might not need those. And if you do,
I would advise not jumping into it early. Start with what you know.
Erlang is a big enough change as it is.

> E) Deciding which processes should read and write persistent data records.

Start simple, measure, then decide what to do about it. Pools of
connections are not uncommon, and already written for you in most cases.

> F) Incorporating global modules/"shared facilities" like event handlers,
> loggers, etc.

Don't know what you mean with event handlers exactly, but as far as
logging goes, use either error_logger or lager depending on your needs.
Again not much to think about there.

> H) Organizing source code files into separate projects and directory
> structures.

A few simple rules:

- A module covers one small topic
- A process does one thing
- An application covers one topic and does one thing that involves
multiple modules and processes

> B) Appointing supervisor and worker modules; defining process hierarchies.
> C) Deciding which processes should communicate with each other and how.
> G) Visualizing the system architecture, processes and communication
> lines; what kind of graphics to use.

I'll leave that one for others.

> Questions:
>
> 1) How do you unlearn "bad habits" from object-oriented way of thinking?

The only way to unlearn something is to not use it for extended periods
of time. I'm afraid that's not much help. Instead, try manipulating your
brain into finding the right state of mind when you work on Erlang projects.

It's the same problem you have when you play tennis and then switch to
ping pong. The only difference is that you don't play them in the same
environment or with the same tools so it's easier to switch from one to
the other.

Actually changing environment could help you into switching your OO
brain off: change desk, change editor, and so on.

> 2) How do you think and reason about process-centric systems designs?
> 3) When designing a new system, how do you approach the above activities?

Start small and naive, measure, then take decisions as to how the
processes should be organized. Erlang is very easy to refactor compared
to OO, so take advantage of that. Go for a working prototype, then
improve upon it. How long you take to go from prototype to production
will mostly depend on your experience.

I've been interrupted about a thousand times when writing this, so
hopefully I make some sort of sense. :-)

Cheers,

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu