[erlang-questions] Fast directory walker

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Dec 10 12:25:45 CET 2016

This is very interesting - I've often wondered why directory traversal
is faster in C than
Erlang since all Erlang is doing is calling C primitives -

I think measuring the times for this is difficult - if for example you
run a python test immediately followed by an erlang test, I'd expect
you get a different result than if you run the erlang
test with a "cold" cache - running the python program will have the
side effect of loading
various memory buffers - I'd also expect different results on
different OS and different
results depending upon your physical memory sizes and the size of the
trees you are traversing.

I've often wondered if fast C programs achieve their speed by directly
poking around in the
underlying inode structures, but this would involve detailed knowledge
of the underlying
file system (ie is an ext3, HFS+, FAT32 etc.)

Programs like rsync and the Dropbox sync algorithm seem unreasonably
fast to me -
I wonder if they poke around in the underlying OS representation of
the file system and not
use a more portable and easier to use interface.

/Joe