[erlang-questions] Unimplemented {buffer, integer()} option in ssl module - bug?

Alex S. alex0player@REDACTED
Fri Dec 2 11:43:41 CET 2016

> 2 дек. 2016 г., в 13:28, Ingela Andin <ingela.andin@REDACTED> написал(а):

> The {buffer, integer()} option from gen_tcp is useful for breaking up
> incoming data into manageable sizes, especially when in {packet, line}
> mode.
>
> The docs suggest (kinda) that the gen_tcp options should also work
> when connecting via the ssl module, but this isn'
> always the case -
> the buffer option is silently ignored by ssl:connect
>
> Actually it is not ignored it just is not has no noticeable affect to you.
>
> Is this
> a bug? Tested on erl 17, 18, 19
>

> For this option to work as expected for you it needs to be emulated by the ssl process as are packet related options. So it is a missing feature.
>
> Regards  Ingela Erlang/OTP- team
I would argue that the combination of these two effects can also be described as «buffer_size is pushed a level lower» (where it is obviously not useful to the user of ssl module), and I would additionally argue that erroneously so. The option needs to be either explicitly not supported (with a note in the documentation), or do the right thing, not do some invisible thing that has no positive effect.