[erlang-questions] Erlang tracing

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Sep 21 20:08:14 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Lukas Larsson <lukas@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> My wish for tracing in Erlang is that it be dead simple to use. Maybe
>> this has changed or my impression is just wrong, but I've found the
>> tracing facilities to be quite complex to jump in with.
>
> I believe that better documentation, especially more example usages, should
> help with this. Together with some simplification of the APIs in dbg and
> ttb, I might even be able to persuade some of the hard-core io:formatters
> here at OTP to use tracing...

Tracing is so much easier and better than io format! Though it needs
to be as simple as:

trace_function(Mod, Fun)

The stuff in e2_debug took a fair amount of effort for me to divine -
but even with that knowledge, I surely don't want to mess with
anything more than a single function call.

I also spent a fair amount of effort in getting the output to be
usable (for me). Small details perhaps, but if I didn't have that
facility as it is, I'd be an ioformatter :)