[erlang-questions] Erlang tracing

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Sep 21 19:47:13 CEST 2015

On 09/21, Lukas Larsson wrote:

>Do you mean something like what is possible today with {message,{caller}}
>and/or {message,{process_dump}}? i.e. dbg:tracer(),dbg:p(all,c),
>dbg:tp(lists,map, [{'_',[],[{message,{caller}}]}]).

I used mostly the trace BIFs directly. I'm guessing this would be the
'meta' specs if it exists? I didn't think it possible given the
documentation:

meta
    Return the meta trace tracer process or port for this function, if
    it has one. If the function is not meta traced the returned value is
    false, and if the function is meta traced but has once detected that
    the tracer proc is invalid, the returned value is [].

meta_match_spec
    Return the meta trace match specification for this function, if it
    has one. If the function is meta traced but has no match
    specification defined, the returned value is [].

If that stuff lets me trace parents of a given call, then I'm already
happy with that -- the doc just isn't clear what its intended use is.