[erlang-questions] Erlang OTP 18 memory leak / SSL

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Sun Sep 20 00:07:56 CEST 2015

Hi!

> Hello,
>
> I just recently updated Erlang to latest version OTP 18 on Ubuntu server.
> It uses cowboy (websocket), ranch, ssl, erlydtl & rabbitmq. It used to work
> fine in OTP 17. The program is correctly compiled but during the execution
> the memory kept increasing. I need to restart the process every one or two
> hours to free some memory.
>
> I have read a post here [
> http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/R18-Unbounded-SSL-Session-ETS-Table-Growth-td4713697.html]
> which discussed about the ssl_session_cache ETS table which can become very
> large.

Well that bug is now fixed for 18.1 and in maint on github. This bug
however has been around for a while so it is unlikly that this bug causes
18 to behave different from 17.

> The process beam.smp can go up to more than 5G during a few hours of
> executions.
>
> I am not yet sure what is the root cause of this issue.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this? Or where should I look at?

You could try using the observer application to inspect the node, makes
inspecting easy.
Let us know your findings.

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP team - Ericsson AB