[erlang-questions] Erlang Cost Model

Felix Gallo felixgallo@REDACTED
Wed Sep 16 20:37:41 CEST 2015

What Joe writes is of course true, but Python programs are generally run on
general purpose multitasking operating systems too, so they too have the
problem of concurrency, getting their cache forcibly invalidated, etc.,
etc., it's just that they generally can't do it to themselves.

I think it would be awesome for someone to build a site/document that
helped (semi-)formally solidify intuitions for people coming to Erlang,
because most of the intuitions earned in other languages are not applicable
either due to immutability (e.g. "changing" element N of a list), language
design (e.g. math on arbitrarilybignums), or semi-opaque foreignness (e.g.
ets bag perf characteristics vs. set vs. OTP state vs. process dictionary).

Not it!

F.