[erlang-questions] JSON for STDLIB

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Sep 7 09:39:23 CEST 2015

On 09/07/2015 03:34 AM, Theepan wrote:
> Team,
>
> Is there any reason why a JSON library is not included into Erlang/OTP
> releases? Since it was initially planned for telco systems, it includes
> ASN.1 library. It has some other transfer-format libraries as well.

ASN.1 isn't just a "transfer-format", it's something OTP itself *uses*.
Without the ASN.1 application, there would be no public_key application,
and therefore no SSL, to name one.

JSON would be just sitting there. What's the point?

Another argument against it is one you cited in your email: there are
already a variety of open source JSON libraries. Each has different
properties and are useful to different people. Why would you include one
and basically doom the others? Which one would you bundle? Will that
choice make sense to everyone?

Finally, I'm not sure what's the point? If you are using Erlang.mk, to
use jsx, you need to add this single line to your Makefile:

DEPS = jsx

If jsx was part of OTP, you would need to add this single line to your
Makefile:

OTP_DEPS = jsx

The advantage of bundling it in OTP are not obvious, to say the least.

In general I believe OTP should reduce the number of libraries it comes
with, not increase it. It's easy to find a library fitting your needs
nowadays. Erlang.mk for example has 470 packages and you can search them
in one easy command: make search q=json

Cheers,

--
Loïc Hoguin