[erlang-questions] [ANN] Announcing Erlang Issue Tracker bugs.erlang.org

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Wed Oct 21 21:00:30 CEST 2015

On 10/21/2015 05:13 PM, Bruce Yinhe wrote:
> We are happy to announce the issue tracker for Erlang/OTP
> (http://bugs.erlang.org <http://bugs.erlang.org/>). Our intention is
> that the issue tracker replaces the erlang-bugs mailing list, in order
> to make it easier for the community to report bugs, suggest improvements
> and new features. You can start using the issue tracker today.
>
> The issue tracker for Erlang/OTP is a step towards improving and
> formalising the process of community contributions, a goal which is
> actively worked on by the Industrial Erlang User Group. The IEUG is
> working with Ericsson to improve libraries, tool chains, middle-ware and
> contributions while spreading awareness and increasing user adoption.
>
> *FAQ*
> *
> *
> *1. Where is the issue tracker?*
>
> bugs.erlang.org <http://bugs.erlang.org/>
>
> *2. Will I still be able to use the erlang-bugs mailing list?*
>
> We recommend you to report new bugs at bugs.erlang.org
> <http://bugs.erlang.org/> instead. You are still able to use erlang-bugs
> and see its archives, but we won't be looking at it as often. We will
> gradually phase out the erlang-bugs mailing list.
>
> *3. How do I create an issue or feature request?*
>
> Create an account or Log in with an existing account. Select Create
> Issue after you log in. You can also log in with your Erlangcentral.org
> account if you have one.

I very much welcome a public issue tracker -- thanks for this
initiative! -- but I am wondering what exactly is the rationale for
choosing this particular process.  The Erlang/OTP system is hosted on
GitHub, and GitHub already has (very nice, IMO) infrastructure for
reporting and tracking issues (across all github code bases, actually).

Moreover, there are also mechanisms of pointing to lines of code in
(some branch) in the repo and to discussions of pull requests.

Why re-invent the wheel (and complicate our lives)?  Don't we all manage
enough accounts already?

Kostis