[erlang-questions] Why should you ever use atoms?

Thomas Gebert thomas@REDACTED
Mon Oct 12 01:13:05 CEST 2015

I understood for the most part how to use atoms and what they were used
for, I was just curious what technical advantages they had over a string
(or binary string) considering that they aren't garbage collected.  The
O(1) comparison is a valid enough reason that I hadn't thought about,
and the idea that they are limited by design actually kind of makes
valid sense.