[erlang-questions] If you make WhatsApp today...

Theepan vasdeveloper@REDACTED
Mon Oct 12 03:59:38 CEST 2015

Vimal,

As Joe mentioned, focus of a new product should be on key-differentiators
and time-to-market. This way you can check the product-market fit, and, if
needed, can fail-fast.

If you are familiar with Mnesia, it does not take more than 10 minutes to
set it up. Since it is a Erlang-integrated DBMS, it will help you code fast
in case you need transactional guarantees, and it withstands decent load
before you need to look at performance optimisation options.

As Jesper mentioned, when you look at storing data, you have to select the
right mix of mechanism. It is not always database alone. This worries you
only later. Some of them of course you should have it at the initial stage
itself -- e.g. storing media files in file system.

Theepan