[erlang-questions] Why should you ever use atoms?

Thomas Gebert thomas@REDACTED
Sat Oct 10 17:46:20 CEST 2015

I know this is probably kind of a newbie question, but I figured this
would be the place to ask it: if atoms aren't garbage collected, why
should I use them? For example, it's a common pattern to have something
like:

     myFunction({user, "tombert","eats pizza"}) -> %% do something

When I could easily do something like:

     myFunction({"user", "tombert", "eats pizza"}) -> %% do something

----

I could be way off here, but wouldn't the string be garbage collected?
Is there a benefit to atoms that I'm missing?

-Tombert.