[erlang-questions] lowering jitter: best practices?

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Wed May 27 11:07:36 CEST 2015

Hello,

This appears to be an interesting issue. First of all I’ve not seen a negative jitter and my impression was that your FSM loop suffer from measurement error. I’ve changed the measurement loop to be very-very tiny but there was not significant gain on jitter it is on par with your original code.

T0 = os:timestamp(),
receive
after TickInterval ->
   T1     = os:timestamp(),
   Jitter = timer:now_diff(T1, T0) - (TickInterval * 1000)
end

All-in-all, I’ve run the measurement both on my laptop Mac Book (Intel i5) and Amazon (cr1.8xlarge). The results was steady. You can find them below. I’ve seen jitter over 50ms for 10K process on my laptop only.
I am tend to thing that you are experience high jitter due to excessive CPU utilisation in your test bed. However, you can run the test with single FSM, the jitter is far from 0. May be it is time look VM internal.

You have proposed three possible solutions in your earlier email, I am afraid all of them will suffer from ‘jitter’ due to multiple reasons including the overhead in network communication. The option #1 (timer per fsm) still looks more feasible from my perspective. You might implement adaptive timer to minimise experienced errors.

Laptop:
kolesnik@REDACTED:tmp$ erl -sbt ts -sws very_eager -swt high
Erlang/OTP 17 [erts-6.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V6.2  (abort with ^G)
1> test_fsm5:go(1000, 50, 50, 1).
waiting for 1000 FSMs, tickrate 50
avg: 3164.69932160804
max: 13372
min: 4
median: 2426
95th: 8339
99th: 10552
all_done

AWS:

[ec2-user@REDACTED ~]$ /usr/local/xxx/erts-6.2/bin/erl -sbt ts -sws very_eager -swt high
Erlang/OTP 17 [erts-6.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:32:32] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V6.2  (abort with ^G)
1> test_fsm5:go(1000, 50, 50, 1).
waiting for 1000 FSMs, tickrate 50
avg: 998.798351758794