[erlang-questions] Windows

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed May 20 18:20:01 CEST 2015

Like I said before, try eleveldb, or any other project that depends on
another lib that's not so friendly with Windows. The Twitter discussion
I was referring to also mentioned Yaws, though that's probably not a
permanent issue. I could find you more, there's no shortage of NIFs and
ports in the open source projects.

To make things work in a proper Windows environment you have to rely on
every project to be targetting Windows and that's no small matter,
especially for those that use a library that's hard to use on Windows.

At least with Cygwin there's no added burden on open source project
developers. And that's very important, considering how little most
projects are willing to deal with.

Making everything work in a proper Windows environment is a *gigantic*
task and involves a lot more than just dealing with Erlang projects
themselves. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Rebar is fine for small things but can't deal with everything. Rebar3 is
about the same but requires the project to also target Rebar3 (unless
that changed). erlang.mk will eventually get at the same level as rebar
once it switches to Make 4. But the experience is not smooth with any of
them.

Cygwin can deal with a lot more and doesn't require effort on the part
of the open source project developer or on the part of the user
(everyone can run one setup command in a cmd shell). That's a win win to me.

Adding a Cygwin target to Erlang should not be too hard. After all it's
already possible to compile Erlang/win32 on Cygwin. I imagine the Cygwin
build would just require different defines enabled, little else.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu