[erlang-questions] Erlang microservice architecture ?

Sun May 17 00:19:28 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Thomas Elsgaard <thomas.elsgaard@REDACTED>
wrote:

> I should maybe add that this is for low volume but complex service
> activation in the telco domain, the current approach has been the
> traditional SOA solution with an ESB and process orchestration (all Java
> based), but the number of services has increased, and the ESB (service bus
> + message queue) is suffering from memory leaks and other stability
> issues which is hard to troubleshoot, and in general, the solution is just
> complex.

To me, this suggests a solution based on RabbitMQ+Protobufs, or
RabbitMQ+Transit/Msgpack. This allows you to slowly lift services out of
the clutches of Java and into Erlang one service at a time. Make a number
of Erlang nodes able to handle any kind of service task by making each
service a separate application, and you also have some added fault
tolerance. Messaging is also asynchronous if you want it, so you can avoid
some of the weaknesses of RPC.

Later on, you can probably just consider distribution of the Erlang nodes
and then send messages directly, but don't underestimate RabbitMQ as a
mediation layer.

For low volume, the flexibility of RabbitMQ is really good.

--
J.