[erlang-questions] Retrieving "semi-constant" data from a function versus Mnesia

Peter Johansson flexchap@REDACTED
Wed May 13 01:00:02 CEST 2015

Hi Joe !

Thank you very much for a resolving answer/response indeed !

This is my debut / first ever communication/message-interchange with you by
the way   :-)
( but I have been aware of Erlang  ....you ..and some of the other
community-active users for a few years now ).

And also ... Thank you way ...way more for your contribution of/to a
language being absolutely marvelously flexible & simplistic to use in real
life prototyping/"testing out"-situations ( it even beats Python in this
regard if you ask me ).

It struck me yesterday that I actually have two other more "generic"
Erlang-question
as well .....but which happen to fit in completely naturally & closely
under this current question-thread by their nature .....so I put them here
too.

1:
Are fixed data, defined & compiled inside functions, always stored inside &
referenced from the constant-pool of the particular modules regardless of
what Erlang term-types/structures they holds ....or does it exist special
situations when such fixed data becomes partly or fully copied into the
heap/stack of the calling process ?

2:
In the current web-application project I work with (implemented on top of
Yaws) I have the following type of function-call construct ( to achieve
server-side method-dispatching )

Variable_module_name:fixed_function_name(),

According to the efficiency-guide of the Erlang-documentation this type of
call-construct is more "expensive" (about six times) compare to a fully
fixed name function-call.

In what sense is it more expensive ?  ....is it about the time-lag between
the point when the VM catch/discovers this call-construct and the point
when the functional content (the prepared sub-routines) actually can be
executed ?

Once again ....thank you very much for contributing this language to the
programmer-community.
Sending my best regards !

Peter , Lund Sverige