[erlang-questions] Stopping Application in erlang.

Magnus Henoch magnus@REDACTED
Mon Mar 30 12:49:46 CEST 2015

harsha sri <harsha.pic@REDACTED> writes:

> I am running appication with Supervisor & Worker model.  Can
> anybody guide me through how to stop application or restart my
> application.
>
> Below is my application file:
>
> -module(uclient).
>
> -behaviour(application).
>
> -export([start/2, stop/1]).
>
> -record(state, {pid}).
>
> start(normal, []) ->
>    case uclient_sup:start_link({uclient_sup}) of
>       {ok, Pid} -> {ok, Pid};
>       Error -> Error
>    end.
>    %%uclient_sup:start_link({uclient_sup}).
>
> stop(_State) ->
>     ok.
>

> Tried to stop application from erl command line, but getting
> error as below:
>
> uclient:stop().
> ** exception error: undefined function uclient:stop/0

The function uclient:stop/1 in your application module is just a
callback module, that is supposed to do any application-specific
cleanup before the application is stopped.  In most cases, it will
look just like yours in the example above: it does nothing.

The real work of stopping an application is stopping the
supervision tree and all the linked processes.  For that, you need
application:stop/1:

application:stop(uclient).

Regards,
Magnus