[erlang-questions] Learning from Open Source projects?

Leandro Ostera me@REDACTED
Thu Mar 26 07:45:03 CET 2015

Hi Harit! And welcome, I'm in the same quest myself.

What I did was start a project that I'd already know how
to build with another set of technologies (think RESTlike
API on Express/Rails/Flask) and then look for a way to
build it with Erlang. Think "backend for To-do app" in Erlang.

That immediately narrows it down to the particular implementation
of the protocols you already know. In my case, HTTP, so
finding Cowboy, Nitrogen, mochiweb, and webmachine, wasn't
really that hard.

I picked webmachine and I'm just building stuff with it now, and
that led to building some other OTP specific things like a port
for streaming data into erlang (which is still in the makings).

Hope it helps

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 2:26 AM, Stéphane Wirtel <stephane@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2015, at 6:23, Harit Himanshu wrote:
>
>  Hello there!
>>
>> This is not exactly Erlang question, but since I am learning Erlang, I
>> wanted to post this question here.
>>
>> Firstly, I am erlang newbie.
>> I am reading book(s) and trying problems on Hackerrank
>> <https://www.hackerrank.com/domains/fp/intro>
>> I lose interest pretty quickly if I do not have project idea in my mind.
>> So
>> as I started searching, I get ideas like
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1282205/what-are-
>> the-best-open-source-erlang-projects-files-for-a-novice-to-read
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1451278/best-open-
>> source-projects-in-erlang-otp-for-learning
>>
>> Which brings an interesting point to me. I do like to read code. But
>> what's
>> the strategy?
>>
>> So questions are
>>
>> 1. How do you read/learn open-source library?
>>
> Cowboy, Ranch, Hackney if you want to read the code of HTTP server/client
>
>  2. What techniques do you use to make sure you understand it correctly?
>>
> Just read, and try to understand, take a paper and write on it.
>
>  3. What Erlang projects (specifically) would you recommend a beginner to
>> take a look, read and contribute
>>
> on the github site, you have the search feature, just type "language:
> elixir" in the search bar.
>

> --
> Stéphane Wirtel - http://wirtel.be - @matrixise

Leandro Ostera