[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Leandro Ostera <>
Thu Mar 19 14:42:26 CET 2015


Can I just say that if someone takes the decorum and effort to write
a response, regardless of how it's styled, it's only fair that I make the
actually very small effort of reading it?

Otherwise this topic is going to go on *forever*

On the CoC, I'm quite new around this place but other than some
well opinionated folks that after a while say "You're right.", I haven't
read much trouble around the mailing list?

I can't imagine it saying it's a welcoming community and then going like
"Hey, thanks for your answer but since your lines are too long, I will
totally just ignore your *actual* answer and just focus on bitching
about lines being too long and whatnot"

– inconsistent line breaking on purpose.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Anthony Ramine <> wrote:

> Le 19 mars 2015 à 02:23, Richard A. O'Keefe <> a écrit :
>
> > I said I agreed with trying to keep lines short.
>
> And that's where I disagree.
>
> > On 19/03/2015, at 9:40 am, Anthony Ramine <> wrote:
> >> I disagree. To me your messages look funny (lines *too* short) on my
> main computer, and just plain unreadable on any mobile screen, because it
> must wrap it furthermore to make it fit the screen.
> >
> > Well, I found your message uncomfortable to read
> > because of its long lines.
>
> Why is your window so large that my message is uncomfortable? Why waste
> the screen estate if you want it to show short lines? Want short lines?
> Have a narrow window.
>
> > The point of my message was to *increase* authorial
> > freedom compared with the proposed CoC rule.
> > Instead of saying "74 character limit OR ELSE",
> > I was suggesting "use some judgement".
>
> The point of my message was just to point to you that your messages are
> uncomfortable when not seen on a proper computer.
>
> >> I don't expect the Web to be hand-wrapped, nor books, nor papers done
> with LaTeX.
> >
> > The wrapping of books cannot be changed.
> > The wrapping of papers done with LaTeX is
> > *mostly* done by LaTeX, but it is very
> > common for people to have to rewrite text
> > to get good line breaks, even with (La)TeX.
> > One thing any experienced TeXnician is aware
> > of is that text written for one paper size
> > will *not* look good when reformatted for a
> > different size, *when formatted by (La)TeX*.
> > Especially tables.
>
> Eh? Prose will look good when reflowed under LaTeX algorithms. Why mention
> tables when I'm comparing LaTeX to mails in the context of reading prose?
>
> > Oddly enough, e-mail is NOT the Web, NOT a book,
> > and NOT a paper done with LaTeX (or Weird, or Lout,
> > or Troff).
> >
> > Anyone who finds my lines too short must have
> > terrible trouble with cereal boxes and newspapers.
> > (And I do know that e-mail isn't either of those.
> > Although it *is* very very much like the letters
> > to the Editor, which conventionally uses much
> > shorter lines than I do.)
>
> I'm having trouble with your too short lines because they look just plain
> wrong on a mobile phone. [1]
>
> And I don't eat cereals, I'm gluten-free, m'kay.
>
> >> Could we finally evolve from plain plain/text to format=flowed
> plain/text?
> >>
> >>      http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html
> >
> > That's pretty much what the Mail program does _anyway_.
> > Basically, all format=flowed does is to take away
> > the author's freedom to use short lines; apart from
> > that it doesn't seem to change anything.
>
> No, your own mail client doesn't use any combination of encoding and
> content type that let the text reflow, hence why it looks bad on my phone,
> and just losing screen estate on my computer. [2]
>
> > The point about mobiles is well taken.  I know I had
> > great trouble trying to read e-mail on an iPad using
> > a web mail interface.  Mind you, that was because of
> > long lines, not short ones.  But you know, there is
> > nothing that stops a mobile phone mail reader from
> > re-breaking paragraphs.
>
> Yes there is something that stops my mobile mail reader from re-breaking
> your paragraphs: your very email forbids it through its
> Content-Transfer-Encoding and Content-Type. Just look at the raw email you
> sent.
>
> Regards.
>
> [1] http://cl.ly/aHtt
> [2] http://cl.ly/aI8f
>
> _______________________________________________
> erlang-questions mailing list
> 
> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>



-- 
Leandro Ostera

Github <http://github.com/ostera> | LinkedIn
<http://linkedin.com/in/leostera> | Facebook <http://facebook.com/leostera>
 | @leostera <http://twitter.com/leostera>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/attachments/20150319/6d5169e3/attachment.html>


More information about the erlang-questions mailing list