[erlang-questions] Including other peoples code in my code in a future proof way

Wed Mar 18 13:59:47 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Leandro Ostera <me@REDACTED> wrote:

> Fundamental to deterministic builds is not being able to *republish* under
> a version name. Which obligues
> you to increment your semver with every fix, feature, and major overhaul.

Indeed! Either you ignore the problem entirely, like the Go community is
currently doing, or you define a system in which the name of a package is
derived from its content. For instance by taking a checksum over a tarball
of the source, or something like this. Content-Addressable-Storage is a
nice thing because it eliminates the problem with accidentally overwriting
history. And furthermore, it guarantees static data which in turn enables
free caching of any package at any system.

--
J.