[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Sean Cribbs sean@REDACTED
Sun Mar 15 04:26:12 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Bruce Yinhe <community-manager@REDACTED>
wrote:

> This code is not exhaustive or complete. It serves to distill our common
> understanding of a collaborative, shared environment and goals. We expect
> it to be followed in spirit as much as in the letter.
>
> http://www.erlang.org/download/erlang_org_code_of_conduct.txt

Since I went on a rant about this on Twitter, it is only appropriate that I
reply here in long form. I believe the guidelines are inadequate. As others
have mentioned, while there are many lines addressing formatting of
messages and such, there are very few social guidelines.

If we want the Erlang community to be one that welcomes newcomers of all
types, appreciates the contributions of the non-privileged, and fosters
goodwill, we need to be more specific than "Be nice to each other". At
minimum, I would like to see affordances for people -- especially those who
are not in the majority -- who have grievances, means to report and act on
violations of the CoC, and how those in authority are affected by and held
to the CoC.

For further reading from people who are way more informed and eloquent on
the subject, and a firsthand experience of a community that has established
a CoC, I suggest the links below.

http://www.ashedryden.com/blog/codes-of-conduct-101-faq#cocfaqnegative
http://www.sheldon-hess.org/coral/2013/08/wheatons-law-is-not-enough-and-damn-it-you-are-not-neutral/
https://plus.google.com/+HannahGrimm/posts/5517czLTefa