[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Peter Hickman peterhickman386@REDACTED
Sat Mar 14 16:43:19 CET 2015

Anthony

My point was that Benoit posted a 293 character line while saying:

> If your MUA is not capable to split a line correctly then I can't help
you.

He then goes on to say:

> Even that poor gmail is able to do it.

The problem here is that my MUA is gmail, the very MUA that Benoit says can
split a line correctly but is not doing so. His statement is therefore
false. Trying to blame my MUA for not correctly formatting his overlong
line is arse about face. The formatting needs to be made by the author not
the recipient. The CoC rules are about how the author should act not the
recipient. Thus Benoit as the author of his own post should format his post
to conform to the CoC rather than blame the recipients MUA for not abiding
with the CoC.

On 14 March 2015 at 15:15, Anthony Ramine <n.oxyde@REDACTED> wrote:

> You do know that your own mails aren't wrapped, right? And that it is
> GMail's fault for providing a bad UI?

I actually mentioned this myself, did you not read it? "Also the single
line that you entered is 293 characters long, a sin that I am also guilty
of but then I am actually against these petty rules."

> Trying to enforce rules that go against most "modern" MUAs is not being
> inclusive.

What I have been saying is that these rules are bad but if someone wants to
argue that they are necessary then I would at least expect them to follow
the rules that they say are necessary.

I don't believe that I am asking too much in this.