[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Peter Hickman peterhickman386@REDACTED
Fri Mar 13 23:27:34 CET 2015

Other than the 74 character limit (and just quite where that figure got
pulled from is anyones guess) all the rules are subjective. This is why I
ask what "too little" or "too much" quoting is, you could be banned for
this, that is why they are there in the CoC in the first place. We can
measure the length of a line and say "yes this person has broken the line
length rule". Regardless of where we stand on line length we can at least
objectively measure it. But should someone get pulled up for "too much"
quoting then they are at the mercy of how the moderator is feeling that day.

Your "too much" might be my "just right". Who is to say? The problem is
that there is now someone who can say and can act on it too.
​
How about you make a post that includes a line that is 74 characters long.
I then quote that line, the '> ' that now prefixes the line pushes the line
over the sacred 74 character limit. I have violated the CoC. God forbid
that someone quotes me quoting you?

The CoC also omits to mention how these bans are handled. Will the offence
and associated evidence be presented to the community so that we know
why Vincent de Phily is no longer active on the list or will the secret
police simply ban him and pretend that he never existed? The potential for
abuse is great.

In the back of my mind I am seeing a corporation that is concerned that
it's "social assets" are perhaps not behaving as they should and needs to
be brought into line. I feel the need to put quotes around the word
community.

As I have said previously other much larger language communities have
thrived without such rules and I fail to see why the Erlang community
should be so fragile (or paranoid).