[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Fri Mar 13 16:25:43 CET 2015

On 03/13, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> I see little need for a code of conduct that basically says "be nice". It's
> common sense after all.

Then the code of conduct shall not be a problem for you.

What the code does, however, is put a context around when and how
someone can be reprimanded on the list, and for what reasons. It also
gives a path of escalation in case of disagreement. Without one, this is
basically left implicit to whoever is swinging the banhammer, and who
you know or can talk to.

It sets expectations and context over what is expected from members
*and* from moderators.

> > It is pointless to send a message that only warns about posting style.
> > If you are trying to point someone to correct posting style
> > guidelines, please do so while at least honestly attempting to answer
> > their questions or comments. It is generally unhelpful to give only a
> > warning related to posting style, as newcomers may feel unwelcome,
> > only to leave. And that is exactly what we do not want.
>
> That's what you'll inevitably get now that you made a number of official
> "rules" for posting style. And you'll also get the associated frame wars
> about top and bottom posting.

Then it goes against the code of conduct, please don't do that.
Moderation can do its job, as subtle as it may be to the onlooker, or
you can brin your problems to the moderators. Their contact info is
listed in the code of conduct.

--

Regarding top or bottom posting, I don't have strong feelings either
way, though I do get annoyed by gmail users never filtering down the

Regards,
Fred.