[erlang-questions] Is this proper way to convert a latin string to utf8 string

王昊 jusfeel@REDACTED
Sun Jul 26 21:45:44 CEST 2015

This is so cool. Thanks!

--
Hao

在 2015-07-27 03:37:34,"Jesper Louis Andersen" <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> 写道:

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 9:30 PM, 王昊 <jusfeel@REDACTED> wrote:
I am using a web framework(Chicagoboss). I posted the data into Erlang in Chinese in utf8 encoded string from a web form. It is read by Erlang as [232,191,153]. This is just one single Chinese character. But erlang read it as [232,191,153]. So I want to consume via ajax later on on the client side.

Ah, you have three bytes, 232, 192, 153 in utf8 representation and want to convert those into a unicode codepoint. Here I have a binary with a bit of other utf8 characters in it (since ASCII and utf8 overlaps):

9> B = <<232, 191, 153, $h, $e, $l, $l, $o>>.
<<232,191,153,104,101,108,108,111>>
10> [CP || <<CP/utf8>> <= B].
[36825,104,101,108,108,111]

--