[erlang-questions] How is graph like this generated?

Fri Jul 24 11:13:42 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Leo Liu <sdl.web@REDACTED> wrote:

> I wonder how those graphs are generated? Thanks.

I think those graphs are generated by a tool. Either manually, or
automatically. The have many names, one of which is "Sequence Diagrams" and
another one being "Message Sequence Chart (MSC)". Usually there is specific
meaning attached to different shapes in them, but the general rule is that
time flows downwards and you can see the interaction between several agents.

In Erlang, we have a tool for generating these, which is the `et`
application (short for event tracer). It allows you to add dummy function
calls into your application and then record what the application is doing,
automatically generating a diagram for you. My post is somewhat old, but I
still think it is applicable:

http://jlouisramblings.blogspot.dk/2011/10/using-event-tracer-tool-set-in-erlang.html

That way, you can build diagrams automatically by attaching trace probes to
the report_event function.

--
J.