[erlang-questions] JSON Parser

Wed Jul 15 11:03:56 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Kannan <vasdeveloper@REDACTED> wrote:

> I come across many JSON libraries. Once from MochiWeb, Other one from
> Yaws. Third one from CouchDB. And some others through Googling.

There are two very popular JSON parsers in Erlang: jsx and jiffy.

jsx is written in plain Erlang. It is fast, correct and since it is written
in Erlang, it will also automatically yield for other processes in the
system.

jiffy is written as a C NIF. It is about 10 times faster than jsx, but the
caveat is everything that has to do with C NIFs: blocking a scheduler, C
code having errors, security considerations, etc.

I tend to run with `jsx` in my projects, and then I switch away from JSON
when it gets to slow. JSON is a bad format that should never have existed
in the first place. We are stuck with it because it's historic alternative,
XML, was far worse in every aspect.

--
J.