[erlang-questions] Garbage Collection, BEAM memory and Erlang memory

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Wed Jan 28 15:15:59 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Anton Lebedevich <mabrek@REDACTED> wrote:

> Time scale is different so it's not possible to correlate process
> memory with number of reductions or number of GCs.

Time scale is different from previous test, but the graph is the same.
Things get ugly at 140.

> It seems that some process (or processes) starts allocating memory
> much faster than before and linux OOM kills the beam when it runs out
> of memory on the box.

How can you see that?

> You can try setting a watchdog process
> (something like "while true; check memory usage and kill -USR1
> beam.smp when it's close to the limit; sleep 1") to get crash dump
> before OOM kills beam.smp

I did that, I'm currently waiting for the crash dump to finish (it is 2.9GB
right now, and still piling up).

> Is there anything unusual in logs at the momeng when memory usage is
> jumping? Maybe something gets printed to stdout.

Nothing unfortunately.

Thank you for your help,
r.