[erlang-questions] Garbage Collection, BEAM memory and Erlang memory

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Wed Jan 28 13:35:53 CET 2015

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto@REDACTED>
wrote:

What I do not understand is why, in a system under stable load, suddenly
> the eheap blows up like that, eventually crashing the system (this box only
> has 15GB of RAM).

Could it be that you at this point trigger a lot of garbage collections due
to calling erlang:garbage_collect/1? If you do that on a lot of processes
at the same time you might get an explosion in eheap memory usage.

> Any suggestions on the steps I could make to debug this?

If you cannot get a crash dump, I would look for changes in
erlang:statistics/1 counters, to see if that can indicate if something in
the system is changing drastically at that point, i.e. the number of
reductions executed, the number of gc's done etc etc.

Lukas