[erlang-questions] relx extended deps

e@REDACTED e@REDACTED
Tue Jan 27 15:48:45 CET 2015

On 01/27/2015 03:36 PM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> On 01/27/2015 03:33 PM, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't think we'll accept this :).
>>
>> Ranch needs to depend on ssl for this to work.
>
> This is the plan, but I am wondering if relx has a way to remove apps
> the same way reltool has? That would be a good enough alternative if I
> add instructions in the docs on how to remove ssl if you don't need it.

you may add also a notion of "conditional dep"
say: "ranch depends on ssl if ssl is a dep of an app that depends on ranch"

it is much narrower that my proposal, but it should work perfectly for
all similar cases, and it is much easier to implement outside relx.

in the context of the initial issue it would look like the following:
you specify 'ssl' separately from usual deps,
and (during make, or systool) in case 'ssl' is found somewhere in
'applications' you then rewrite .app file adding 'ssl' the
'applications' of 'ranch'.

effectively it is like pulling deps deeper into the deps-tree.
very smooth move, and very versatile