[erlang-questions] Garbage Collection, BEAM memory and Erlang memory

Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya mahesh@REDACTED
Fri Jan 23 10:09:19 CET 2015

In our case, a key insight is something Robert mentioned earlier.
To paraphrase it, "Your memory is not going to be reclaimed till *every*
process that touched it has either been GC'd, or sleeps with the fishes".
And our code had a few router processes that, quite literally, did nothing
but pass binaries on from point A to point B - no reason to worry about
*those* right?  (hint: wrong)

In the short run, walking the process chain and doing full-sweeps on
*every* process that might (!!!) touch the binary.  (we did that)
In the longer run, see if you can swap out the routing processes with
versions that respawn themselves in some form or the other (we did that
too. eventually. was harder)

Cheers

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Dan Gudmundsson <dangud@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>
>> Here's something I've tried which is successful in avoiding the memory
>> increase for binaries.
>>
>> Inside a loop, I used to have:
>>
>>     [...]
>>     <<Body:Len/binary, "\r\n", Rest/binary>> = Data,
>>     loop(Body, Rest);
>>
>> Now I force a binary copy to ensure that the reference to the original
>> full binary is easily removed:
>>
>>     [...]
>>     <<Body0:Len/binary, "\r\n", Rest0/binary>> = Data,
>>     Body = binary:copy(Body0),
>>     Rest = binary:copy(Rest0),
>>     loop(Body, Rest);
>>
>> This seems to have stabilized the memory usage reported by
>> erlang:memory/0.
>>
>> However:
>>
>>    - I believe this can only work if the copied binary are *heap* and
>>    not *ref-c*, is this correct?
>>
>> Binary copy makes a new copy of the binary regardless of size, but it is
> only useful on ref-c binaries,
> and should be used to avoid keeping references to large binaries, when you
> keep and use a small part
> of the original binary. But in this case you make a copy of Data (-2
> bytes) and thus will double up the memory until Data is gc'ed and refc
> reaches zero. So I do not see the point of the above nor of making it a
> list which will
> only explode your memory even more.
>

>>    - Unfortunately, the BEAM process reported RES memory sill keeps
>>    growing.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>> r.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto@REDACTED>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Robert.
>>> I'm going to try a selective fullsweep_after.
>>>
>>> Could this also justify the process memory increase (which is more
>>> significant)?

*Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya
<http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/204a87f81a0d9764c1f3364f53e8facf.png>That
tall bald Indian guy..*