[erlang-questions] Newbie - Erlang VS other functional languages

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Fri Jan 16 20:36:47 CET 2015

On 01/16, Fred Hebert wrote:
> I'd call this the 'zen of Erlang', or just "thinking in Erlang". After a
> bit of time, the separation of these things starts coming naturally.

Oh, and a final word. You truly get the Zen of Erlang once you ask all
these questions and go "I absolutely have no idea what to do" and say
"it's okay. I'll make a best effort, put it under a supervision tree,
and see how it goes".

If you've at the very least split a few things up so they don't corrupt
state when they die, and that they can recover quickly, you'll be ready
to handle nearly any kind of failure.

You can then let your system run happily, and handle new unexpected
errors as they pop up, gradually making your system better and better in
the face of the unexpected. Good modular and functional abstraction will
help there, as you shift parts of your implementation across different
processes and subtrees.

It all makes managing server systems extremely pleasant and natural over
time.