[erlang-questions] Newbie - Erlang VS other functional languages

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Jan 16 19:47:20 CET 2015

On 2015年1月16日 金曜日 13:31:55 Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:
> Ah Professor Smith,
>
> Once again I must confess my ignorance in hope that you can bring clarity.
> I've been working happily with sequential Erlang now for several years---
> most recently an ambitious Nitrogen app. And I've heard from the beginning
> the virtues of of distributed concurrent processes happily chattering among
> themselves.

I don't believe the typical web application is generally written in such a way
that the parts where many processes chatter away at each other is really
apparent to the author of the web-facing bits.

Some things that go on with websockets, on the other hand, are more like real
applications, and there you certainly (may) get this, but not with serving web
pages.

There is a lot of context missing from this complaint (if that is even what
this is). Which is why I think a more reasonable illustration of the
concurrency issue is in something like a game server backend, or even a
locally process-prolific pub-sub reliant desktop business application that
pushes data updates as message flows which eventually hit the GUI bits... or
whatever. But not serving web pages.