[erlang-questions] Newbie - Erlang VS other functional languages

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd@REDACTED
Fri Jan 16 19:31:55 CET 2015

Ah Professor Smith,

Once again I must confess my ignorance in hope that you can bring clarity. I've been working happily with sequential Erlang now for several years--- most recently an ambitious Nitrogen app. And I've heard from the beginning the virtues of of distributed concurrent processes happily chattering among themselves.

But where the rubber meets the road, e.g. as I design my current app, I just don't get how to transform these virtues from virtual to real.

Conceptually, I understand spawned processes, message passing, and supervisors. I've read and reread the Erlang canon. I've built several gen-servers and have worked my way through your e2 tutorial. It all makes good sense.

But as I consider these principles in context of the architectural design of my current app, it's not at all clear how to apply them.

The goal of my webapp is to deliver a set of data-based "tools" to "users" (wouldn't it be nice if we had many of these elusive critters) where each user owns his/her own data.

In my case, users are non-technical author-publishers where each has a personal page for accessing tools and managing data related to project, marketing, and business management.

Best I can tell, Cowboy and Nitrogen deal with "connections" and "sessions" under the hood, so I don't have to worry about them. But I struggle with such questions as:

-- Should each "tool" be implemented as a gen-server?
-- Should the user interface and database be further factored as separate processes?
-- Should each "tool" be developed as a separate Erlang application then integrated as dependencies of a higher-level portal? Or should they be developed as a set of modules in one application?
-- Or maybe each tool should be a totally independent "microservice," whatever that means.

In other words, my attentive studies of Erlang have left me with very few PRACTICAL architectural techniques and tools; that is an insufficient bridge between the PRINCIPLES of concurrent Erlang and the PRACTICE of building robust Erlang systems.

I'd much appreciate any guidelines to help me thrash through my confusion.

But more, I wonder if others struggle with the same issues? And if so, how can I work with wizards like you to shed light on this corner of Erlang technology?

All the best,

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad