[erlang-questions] Newbie - Erlang VS other functional languages

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Jan 16 16:03:13 CET 2015

I don't think Erlang has an edge over any other language in terms of
scaling across multiple servers - not at all. Other functional
languages have access to network APIs the same way Erlang does.

I suppose it's less fiddly to send Erlang terms across the wire.
Erlang has some built in facilities for building distributed
applications. Erlang's been doing this sort of thing for a long time.
But other languages can do it - particularly with the many
multi-language messaging libraries and tools available today.

What Erlang is special for IMO is it concurrency model, which is
implemented in and enforced by the *VM* - there's no shared memory
across threads of execution. One thread cannot corrupt the memory used
by another. To communicate between threads of execution, threads must
pass and receive messages (copied data).

I use the word threads generically here - in Erlang they're called processes.

This changes everything. It's completely transformative of the way you
build software. But the real payoff is in your locally running program
and less so in the ability to "distribute".

Try building software using single threaded, isolated processes (no
shared memory). How do you do it? If you use Erlang, you're forced to
do it - there's no choice.

It's the same as the operating system level. How do you build a LAMP
stack? (sorry, I'm older then 24) You install independent components
(Apache, PHP (fork exec'd), MySQL). Then you configure them to work
together. Then you start them up in a particular order. It's
coordinated communication independent functions. If one blows up, the
others keep working.

Imagine every part of your program working like this and you have an
Erlang application - actually, an Erlang *system*.

To replicate this model at the OS level, you'd write dozens of small,
independent applications that communicated with each other over pipes
or sockets. The ZeroMQ community is familiar with this approach.

The payoff for this, as I see it, is flexibility and speed of
introducing new functionality and fixing bugs.

To illustrate at a higher level, imagine a smart phone today that
didn't provide isolation across applications. What would you expect
from it? I'd expect it to not work unless the applications were all
nearly perfect. That means it will either not work, or the app
ecosystem would be very limited. But today, smart phones all have
kernels and user space where apps are isolated from one another. So I
can install some random thing from an app store and have a pretty high
confidence that it's not going to ruin my phone. The result is *huge*
app ecosystems with phones that pretty much work (shockingly well for
what they're asked to do).

When you use Erlang, your program becomes this ecosystem of "apps"
that you can add to, modify, remove very freely without concern for
the whole system. Your program will be evolvable *and stable* in the
same way your phone is evolvable and stable. It's a scalable
programming model!

It's truly fantastic - and seldom mentioned. (Folks here have heard
this line from me before - this is my particular drum that I like to
beat on :)

Use Erlang!

Garrett

P.S. I routinely run into critical memory problems in Java apps that
host ecosystems of other "apps" (plugins). It's a completely
unsolvable problem when your language/VM encourages intractable memory
graphs across threads unless you are incredibly careful about what you
run. If you want to make a system pluggable in Java (in one JVM), be
prepared for it to stop working at some point. So your either limited
in what you can do (and how fast) or in the stability of your program.